Friday, June 7, 2013

Children's Rocking Chair

Happy Friday! Remember that child's rocking chair that I got at the garage sale for $5 a few weeks back? Well I have been working on it for about a week and a half and I finally decided that it needed to be finished....TODAY! It had a little to do with all the painting troubles I had this past week. I'm not cut out to be a painter. I had no method whatsoever for this project. I just knew what I wanted and went with it. A white chair with a little bit of a vintage look to it.

Before:


Very cute as it was, but I wanted it to be a little more girl. Plus, all the furniture they have is white.
I started by sanding it...

I had a friend that kept me company every time I went out there to work on it.

And the sanding job I did was so pathetic. I just had no patience. I wanted to start painting! This was after I wiped it down after I sanded it....yeah, I know. It doesn't look much different. So you can see how bad I did. But in my defense, whoever stained the darn thing was a bit of an overachiever.

Then I painted and painted and painted...


I have no idea how many coats I did. Or if it was all even. There were so many nooks and crannies to get into and then once you painted the top, you had to make sure it wasn't dripping on the bottom. And then you had to do a whole bunch of coats on the bottom with it flipped upside down. UGH! Yeah.
And after many days of hard work, here is the finished product.

After:


After I was all done painting, I lightly sanded it again in spots to get the "Vintage" look I was going for. It helped to disguise the paint drips.

 And here is the child that is so spoiled she knew immediately it was hers when I brought it in the house. :)
Rocking away...
 Hopefully she will share it with her little sister sometimes.
 Peanut giving her big sister a push. SQUISH! Love her!
Enjoy the sunny weather this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment