Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Luxe Sweatshirt Restyle

There's a new trend I've seen lately in magazines and catalogs, "Luxe Sweatshirts". Its basically taking the idea of a cozy sweatshirt and showing that it can be comfortable and stylish at the same time. I think they are even suggesting that you can wear these sweatshirts as if you are dressing up. Might be pushing it a little. But who knows. Its a fun idea anyway. I have a simple J-Crew sweatshirt that has seen better days and I thought it would be a perfect candidate for a restyle. Plain, cute, but totally in need of something.
I don't know about you, but my wardrobe could always use a little freshness! Here is some inspiration I found for Luxe Sweatshirts:

Anthropologie
1.
Applique Patois Pullover #anthropologie

2.
Gold Leaf Pullover #anthropologie

Nordstrom
3.
Clover Canyon Embroidered Sweatshirt available at #Nordstrom

4.
Karen Kane 'Riviera' Lace Top available at #Nordstrom

And here is how I turned my plain sweatshirt into a Luxe Sweatshirt.

You will need:
1 Old sweatshirt
Lace (a pretty brocade fabric would also be gorgeous)
Sewing materials
Light spray adhesive

Instructions:
1. Cut out some lace to fit the front of your sweatshirt, excluding the arms. I cut mine so that there was some scallops on the bottom. Depending on the lace you use, it may not have scallops on the edge.

2. Lightly spray some adhesive on the front of the sweatshirt and lay the lace flat on the front. Pin down, making sure not to pin the back.


3. Sew all the way around using the zig-zag stitch.

4. Carefully trim off any excess lace. I also cut out the "V" at the top of my sweatshirt, but that's maybe just preference. 

Now you are ready to sport one of the latest trends! I recommend washing your new Luxe Sweatshirt in cold water and air drying. Although I haven't had a problem with my daughter's Halloween T-Shirt which was basically the same method and I have been washing that in hot water AND drying it. Better safe than sorry!  


It's kinda hard to see the lace in the photos. But I did my best. Seriously, it took me longer to model for the AFTER pictures than it did for me to make the darn thing. It would also be totally cute to do a black sweatshirt with white lace or vice versa or several pieces of lace like in the one Anthropologie example above.

 Hope you enjoyed today's sweatshirt restyle! As always, email if you have any questions and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment