Thursday, June 13, 2013

Spunky Wooden Spoons

You know how sometimes your old things can just BORE you? I have tons of wooden kitchen spoons that I love, (they are bamboo, aka "green" spoons) but I thought they could use a little change...a little spunk and personality. There are lots of different ways you can decorate your wooden spoons and I thought that this way was a great way for me to use the Washi tape that I bought a few weeks ago. When I bought it, I had no idea what I wanted it for. I just saw it all the time on Craftgawker and was like, "I need some Washi tape!" I didn't even know what it was (its basically patterned masking tape, in case you were wondering too). So I finally got to use my Washi tape today! Its pretty cool stuff. I got my inspiration from this tutorial here. Her spoons are gorgeous...I just wasn't sure about using fabric to cover mine. I wasn't sure how washing them would go. I use my spoons a lot and I need to be able to wash them! I am super jealous of her shabby chic style spoons though. Oh well, another day, another project. It could also be very cute and simple to just paint the base of your wooden spoons. You can match them to the colors of your kitchen easily. I think I would like to do that as well one day.....Anyway, here's what I did to my spoons today!

You will need:
Old or new wooden spoons
Washi tape (any pattern you like)
Modge Podge
Paint brush

This picture (for once) actually DOES represent everything you need for this project.
Instructions: All you do is wrap the tape around the spoons in any design you like. You could make stripes, a spiral or tape them all the way down like I did.

This was the most time consuming part because I had to wrap and cut, wrap and cut, each piece. But I mean, we are still talking like 5 minutes here. After you have the spoon decorated how you want it, paint a layer of modge podge over it, to seal it all in so that the tape doesn't come off with the first washing (it also makes them shiny). The modge podge will dry clear. You can do one or two coats.
Then that's it! Such a super easy and quick craft! This could be a really fun present to give to friends with maybe a few kitchen towels and your favorite recipe attached.



Cooking with these guys will be so much more fun now.

2 comments: