Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Decoupaged Glasses

Today I am taking it from the goddess of crafts. Ms. Martha Stewart herself. I found these adorable decoupaged glasses on Eclectically Vintage and was in love. I was able to find the same decoupage from Martha at Micheal's. Totally being a copycat today because I simply love the way her glasses turned out. Now some people would think this a little odd, because I have an unusual fear of butterflies. Yep, I think they are freaking scary. And although I have been inside one of those butterfly houses (for a little girl I was nannying...It was a nightmare) I was sweating the whole time. Allow me to explain. Don't get me wrong, I think they are pretty and all. But have you ever seen one up close? Looked at their bodies and those nasty antennae and legs? Ugh! It gives me shivers just thinking about it. I think they are gross and if any butterfly gets near me I freak out. But anyway, these ones aren't real. They are paper, and there is no nastiness about them, because they are fake. So I get all the beauty and none of the creeps. Moving on.

What you will need for this project:
Martha Stewart decoupage paper cutouts (or any pretty paper you may have)
Martha Stewart durable matte finish decoupage glue
Glasses or ceramic dishes (Can also be applied to wood, metal or paper)
Paint brush
Blue painters tape

1. Tape around the rim of the glass with the blue painters tape. This is to protect you from sipping glue each time you use the glass. :)

2. Paint the entire surface of the glass with the glue in a light layer, then on your first piece of decoupage paper. Place on the glass and continue with until your design is finished.

3. Apply a light layer of decoupage glue to the entire surface. Then let dry. Repeat for 2-3 coats.

4. Set the glass out on the counter and allow to "cure" for 21 days. This makes them dishwasher safe. Yay!

Your glasses will have a slight "frosted" look.

My painter's tape job was horrible. So make sure yours lays flush against the glass!

I am so happy with these and excited to add a little color to my glass collection. Clear glasses go with everything, but these are way more fun! Perfect glasses for outdoor parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment