Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Play Silks

For my daughter's 3rd birthday I made her a bunch of different things to create a "Dress Up" present. One of the things I thought was important to include was Play Silks. Basically all it is, is a square of fabric with finished edges. They are so great for imaginary play because they can be used as scarves, shawls, handkerchiefs, baby doll blankets, wrapping paper, aprons....or the little miss can simply twirl around with it and watch it fly through the air. This is really very simple to do as long as you have basic sewing skills. Don't be discouraged if you don't have a sewing machine either! It may take some time to do these by hand, but it would be good practice! And seriously, if I can do it, anyone can. The hardest part is pinning. Anyway, here is how to make them.

You will need:
Approx. 31X19.5 inches of fabric for 1 play silk. Or more if you want a few different colors. But you can customize and make them whatever size you feel is right. I thought making mine rectangular would make them the most versatile.
Thread
Scissors
Sewing machine
Pins


These are the fabrics I chose for this project. Very Princessy, perfect for the Princess.
1. Start by pinning the edges all the way around the 31X19.5 piece of fabric. For the white lacey fabric (it was actually sturdier than most laces) I just folded the edge over once about 1/4 inch. But for the purple and pink satiny fabrics I folded them over twice, since they unravel very easily.

 2. Using the larger zig zag setting on your machine, sew all the way around the edges, right on the fold. I was super excited because it was my first time using the zig zag setting, and it worked! I didn't screw it up! Phew! You can just sew a straight line, but the zig zag ensures that it doesn't unravel so easily. Since I expect these things to be played with for years to come, I wanted them to be ready for the job.
 3. All finished and ready for play time!
This purple fabric looks terrible in pictures; it is much prettier in person.

See the zig zag? I'm so glad I got that to work.



Here is a play silk being used as a "veil".

And here it is as a "shawl".

Have fun dreaming up new ways for your little one to use their play silks. They can even be used for boy's imaginary play. Hello, a parachute for the army guys? 
Happy crafting everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment