Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Orange Creamsicle Popsicles

These hot Summer days pretty much demand icey cold popsicles. Sometimes its the only way to really cool down. Especially for kids. I feel like I am practically force feeding them water to keep them hydrated. My husband got a huge thing of Otter Pops from the store the other week and I just cringed. Its not that there's anything really wrong with them. I'm sure I liked them as a kid......I just feel like they are straight frozen artificial syrup. Yuck! I love sugar, as you all know. But that fake syrupy colored gross-ness..... It can't be ok. That being said, we still have half the bag to go through. But anyway, it inspired me to make some healthier home-made popsicles. You know those orange creamsicle popsicles? So yummy. I love them. Or those little orange and white ice cream cups? Who doesn't love those? There are tons of amazing popsicle recipes online, but I didn't see one that I was like, "I HAVE to do that", so I made up my own recipe.

Orange Creamsicle Popsicles

Ingredients:
1 Cup plain Greek yogurt (Or vanilla if you prefer)
1 Tsp vanilla extract
2 cups orange juice (no pulp)
1 Tbls. sugar (well, it is me after all. I can't leave it out completely!)
Popsicle molds

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, blender, food processor....whatever you want. We just did ours in a bowl with a fork! Mix until most of the yogurt chunks are blended in. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze. This recipe will make about 6-10 popsicles. I only had 6 popsicle molds and was left with extra mix, so if you have more popsicle molds, go ahead and freeze the rest!  Or you can put the extra in the refrigerator and fill the popsicle molds once they are empty again. There you go....yummy, refreshing and (actually) healthy popsicles.

I finally got those Tovolo popsicle molds that I have been obsessing about and I love them! BPA free, sturdy and really easy to use. Its nice because they fit snuggly onto the base where they freeze, so they won't fall over leaving you with frozen spills in your freezer! You will just need to make sure you have enough standing space in your freezer. I am lucky that we have an extra fridge! They also have rocket shaped popsicle molds and bug shaped ones too. Although I think thats a little gross. Who wants it to seem like they are eating a bug? Maybe boys....

I must say the little toots was very pleased with the recipe. I stole a bite as well and they are yummy!


Mommy, I'm trying to eat here!

No comments:

Post a Comment