Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sushi Pet Costume

About a week or two ago, my sister texted me and told me she wanted to buy a costume for her cat. She said she had seen a mermaid and a sushi at the store (my guess would be Target). I couldn't help from squealing at the thought of her fat cat squished into a sushi costume! For whatever reason, yesterday I got inspired to make that sushi costume. After I looked around and found everything I needed, I decided, "Yep!" I'm making a sushi cat costume. I have seen baby sushi costumes sewn onto onesies and I thought I could use the onesie for her cat too. All I would have to do is cut a tail hole. Haha! The best part is that it only took me half an hour to make. Anyone with dogs rejoice, because this costume will work for your little roo roo as well. Here is how I made this hysterical costume.

You will need:
One old white baby onesie (I went digging in the garage for this. Try on your pet first to make sure you have the right size. 9 months seemed to be a little snug on my ginormous cat, so I knew it would be perfect for my sister's cat, who is a little bit smaller)
Orange, Pink, Green and Black fabric (in whatever kind of fabric you have. I had cotton, felt, and flannel)
Spray adhesive
Sewing supplies

1. Lay the onesie out back facing up. I made the sushi on the back of it, since you wouldn't see it if it was on the front of the cat. Cut out your pieces of sushi making sure that they fit on the onesie. I have no idea what this orange thing is.....shrimp? I don't know what it is because I never eat it when we get sushi. Anyway, cut out one of those and a long strip of black for the seaweed. Then spray with the spray adhesive. This will hold them in place until you can sew it down.


2. Sew all the way around each orange cut out. I didn't get crazy perfect with this. Because it is a cat costume after all. I didn't sew the bottom part of the tail either. I thought it would look better loose. Then wrap the black strip of fabric or the "seaweed" around the middle and sew to the front of the onesie or where the belly of your cat or dog will be.

 

3. Cut 2 green circles and 2 pink circles of felt or fabric. Use the hot glue gun and shape them almost like you would a felt flower. This will be your ginger. 


4. Now sew on the ginger and a pair of disposable chopsticks (if you have them). We always seem to have a plethora of extra chopsticks in our house. We have a love of all foods Asian.
5. Now all you need to do is cut a hole for the tail. I didn't cut one yet because I didn't want to cut it in the wrong place. So I will let my sister do it when she gets it on her cat.

In the meantime, my cat Punk was good enough to model it for us. He even purred....weird cat.
Sushi Cat!!!
Now you can whip up a costume for your pet this Halloween for pretty much nothing. I didn't spend a penny! Good luck and have fun! As always let me know if you have any questions or need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment