Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

First comes the pumpkin, then comes the seeds......or is it seeds, then pumpkin?
I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin seeds. I mean, I'll try a few here and there as I'm making them, but I am never one of those people who is like "OOO PUMPKIN SEEDS!" But I feel like its a necessary tradition to make them every year though after sifting through pumpkin guts to collect them all. I like to make them. It's part of Halloween. So every year I make them. And in recent years I have made several different kinds. Who wants one plain boring flavor of pumpkin seeds? I have to say, this year's batch turned out probably the best I have ever made them. I was "testing" way more than usual. I used this recipe from Rachael Ray Magazine. This year I made the BBQ, Cheesy, Sesame and Cinnamon Sugar flavors. I have made the Zesty before as well and it is delicious too. Important note: The online version of this recipe is missing the / marks. So when it says 12 tsp. ground nutmeg, it really means 1/2 tsp. of ground nutmeg. This happened on Sugar, Nutmeg and Smoked Paprika. Let me know if anyone has questions. I have the original recipe as well, so I can tell you what the real measurements are. I should have just re-copied the recipe for you all, but I am too lazy to do that today.  If these flavors aren't your favorite why not try......

Pumpkin Pie Seeds
1. Rinse the seeds well in cold water, removing all the strings and goop. Bring 4 cups of water and 1 tsp. salt to a boil and add 1 cup of seeds. Simmer for 10 mins. Then drain and dry the seeds. I recommend laying them out on a tray lined with parchment paper to dry. I have tried "patting" them dry with paper towels and they just stick to the paper towels.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and roast for 10-12 mins.
3. Toss with 1/2 stick melted butter and 3 Tbls. brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp.cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. allspice and a pinch of nutmeg, ground cloves and salt, then roast for an additional 5-6 mins.

Curry Seeds
Follow step 1 in the previous recipe. Then toss seeds with 1 Tbls. Olive Oil and a pinch of salt. Follow step 2. Then toss the seeds with 1 1/2 Tbls. curry powder and a pinch of cayenne. Roast for an additional 5-6 mins.

Herb-y Seeds
Follow step 1. Then toss with 1 Tbls. Olive Oil and a pinch of salt. Follow step 2. Add 1 tsp. dried Thyme, 1 tsp, dried Basil and 1 tsp. dried rosemary and roast an additional 5-6 mins.

Enjoy discovering your favorite flavors of Roasted Pumpkin Seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment