Thursday, March 8, 2018

Sideboard for the Dining Room

Finally I am posting our finished sideboard! I started this project back before Thanksgiving and showed some of the process of painting and sanding it on Instagram stories. I know I was freaking some of you out with my methods....sanding it in the house, painting over the carpet...What can I say? I am impatient! When I get an idea for a project in my head, I want it done and I want it done now! Who has time to sand? Who has time to lay a tarp down? Not me. I had a hard enough time convincing myself to take all of the china out. I bought this sideboard from a lady who listed it on craigslist and she had this thing so well oiled that it took forever to sand it down enough. The first few times I painted it, the oils would seep through the white paint and make it look all yellow-y. So it was a little frustrating to say the least. Then the holidays came and I kept putting off finishing it because I was freaking out about it turning out the way that I wanted it. I finally just stuck it out for a few days and got it done. There was a lot of sanding. A lot of sanding. It takes forever! And yes, we finally did take it outside to the garage to sand it. We started seeing dust all over the house....whoops. Oh well, it's good for the lungs right? Anyway, all that's behind us now and it's done! And I love it so much. I knew from the beginning that I wanted to paint it white. The color that is was before was beautiful, but with our dark dining room table already in the room it really needed to be lighter so that the whole room wasn't just dark. I took a poll on Insta-stories and was convinced to at least keep the top of the piece brown, but I painted the rest white and then sanded it down again for a more distressed, chippy look. There is a mirror on the top part that I thought about painting with chalkboard paint so that I could write cute little notes and sayings, but I decided to leave it (at least for now), since I planned on putting a large mirror in front of it.
Here are the before and afters!

BEFORE:





AFTER:







It really made a difference in lighting up the darkness of the room. I love the dark color on the walls we have in here, but the sideboard just brings a bit of brightness in here that it needed.





It is so nice to have the extra storage that this piece gives. I was able to put all of our fine china in here, all of our cloth napkins and a ton of wine. We have started to have quite the collection of wine and there's nowhere to put it! Time to put in a wine cellar. ;) No matter how big your house is, I feel like any time you get a bit of extra storage its so exciting. Maybe that's just me. Maybe I'm weird. But storage is exciting! Having things organized and in their rightful place is exciting! CONTROL! Haha. Pushing up my nerd glasses now.





The first time I painted and sanded it down, it looked so cool with just a little bit of the white paint showing and the raw wood. I definitely thought for a second about keeping it that way, but in the end I knew it had to be more white to lighten up the room. But I'm definitely keeping that idea in mind for future pieces. It was very cool looking.

Another new thing in this room are these new dining chairs from World Market! I have been lusting after these chairs for quite a few years now and I finally caught a sale big enough to justify getting them. I'm in love. They are so pretty and have that vintage, French farmhouse look I love.
Did you spot Asher? He loves to watch me (or really just be "nosy") whenever I am decorating or taking pictures. He's a pretty cute model though, so I don't mind.



The only other thing we need for this room now is two end chairs. I want them to be taller upholstered or slipcovered white chairs and I am on the lookout for the perfect ones. They also have to be sort of shallow so that they will fit in the room. We wanted the table to be large enough so that it would accommodate all our family and friends, but the room itself is on the smaller side so the table overtakes the room and doesn't leave much space for chairs. But I am sure I will find something perfect. Sometimes all you have to do is be patient until you find the perfect piece for a space.

Hope you are all having a great week! You can find a source list below and as always leave me a comment below if you have questions or just want to say hi!

SOURCES:
Dining Table- My husband made it with plans from Ana White. She has plans for many different styles of tables.
Dining Chairs- World Market
Sideboard- Craigslist
Paint used for Sideboard- Martha Stewart's Wedding Cake Chalk Paint
Mirror- Home Goods
Lamps- Wayfair
Chandelier- Circa Lighting

No comments:

Post a Comment