Friday, March 9, 2018

Kitchen Nook Wall




I found this idea in Better Home and Gardens magazine and as soon as I saw it, I knew exactly where I wanted to re-create it. Between our kitchen and dining room is our pantry which is tucked underneath the stairs. The entry between the two rooms is kind of a bare wall that really nothing could be done with. It always kind of bothered me, as I want every space in our home to be utilized to the fullest. I would hang holiday banners there or our large advent calendar, but most of the year, the wall remained empty and it kind of made this spot feel like a tunnel. So I was really excited when I saw this idea, because I thought it would create such a fun space here. I'm not really sure what I should call this project, Kitchen Nook I guess? It's not really a command station, but it has storage and paper to write notes and lists on. Anyway, I'll call it that and you'll see for yourself what it is.
Here is how we re-created it.



We (and you know when I say, "we" I usually mean my husband, right?) put in this large kraft paper roll. I think it is so fun. We use it mainly for writing our shopping and grocery lists in one place, but we also write notes to each other, the girls can clip their art on it and I like to put up cute sayings for the different seasons and holidays. My dad liked that during the Christmas season we kept a naughty and nice list going. He made sure to check it every time he was over and give warnings to whomever wasn't doing so good.





Then we hung these wooden bins to store cookbooks and I put onions and potatoes in the lower two. I like being able to have a separate spot for each that is hidden away. Did you know that you are supposed to store onions and potatoes separately? Did you know that you're not supposed to store them in the fridge? Did you know that potatoes should be kept in the dark? Did you know that when left long enough, potatoes will actually start sprouting leaves!? Just kidding, me neither.



Every Christmas my family (and their spouses) picks a Secret Santa to gift to and he was super sneaky about it, but my husband had me! He gave me this beautiful glass bottle hanging piece. I just have faux greenery in there now, but I am excited to switch it up throughout the year with different flowers.

I really liked the idea of having an herb wall as part of this, like in the original picture, but I knew that it would never be able to work, because there is not nearly enough sunlight here. Plus, my thumbs are not the greenest and I didn't want something so permanent that I couldn't keep up with. So we just simplified it a little to better suit us.






There's a little peak of our recently painted and tiled kitchen. I will do a full post on it soon, I am just sort of waiting for a bright sunny day to do it justice!



I would like to add some hooks like they had in the original inspiration picture as well. We have quite the collection of cute little aprons for the girls and I would love to display them, but I am looking for a very specific farmhouse style and of course it has to be just the right size as well. There are always those things you just gotta wait for right? Happy weekend friends!

SOURCES:
Large Kraft Paper Roll- Amazon
Hanging flower vases- Local hardware store
Wooden bins- Micheals (They had words printed on the front, I think they said, "Farm Fresh" which was cute, but we turned them around towards the wall for a cleaner look)

No comments:

Post a Comment