Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Best Blueberry Muffins In The World

I don't know what is wrong with me lately. For some reason I have been in stock-up survival mode. I have just had the urge to stock up my freezer with dinners, breads, soups, etc. Its totally like a pregnant woman in the third trimester! I don't know if its because its January and the constant cold has my instincts going crazy or what. But anyway, that's what I have been doing lately. One of the things I really like to make is these amazing blueberry muffins. I make a big batch and then the kids have breakfast for the week and I can freeze any extras. They are also perfect for on the go breakfasts or Sunday brunches with friends. And they are SO GOOD! As a kid, I remember picking out each and every blueberry I found in a blueberry muffin. I didn't like the texture, but I liked the taste of the rest of the muffin....but not these! These are so yummy, I have to be careful not too eat too many as they come out of the oven. And my kids are weird and love fruit, so they of course love them. Actually Princess is under the impression that muffins are "cupcakes"......I'm not about to correct her.


The Best Blueberry Muffins In The World 



Ingredients:
7 Tbls. Unsalted Butter
3 Tbls. Sunflower Oil
1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
3 Eggs
3 to 3 1/4 Cups Flour
1 Tbls. Baking Powder
1 Cup Evaporated Cane Sugar (Regular sugar works as well)
1/4 Tsp. Salt
6oz Blueberries
4oz Cream Cheese
Raw Sugar for sprinkling

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Sift together Flour (Start with 3 cups for now), Baking Powder, Sugar and Salt in a large bowl and then make a well in the middle. This basically means to make a dent in the center (much like a bowl) of the flour mixture. Set aside. Melt butter either in the microwave or on the stove top. Allow to cool slightly, then mix with the Oil, Yogurt, Vanilla and Eggs. Pour the wet mixture into the well of the flour mixture. Carefully, with a rubber spatula, fold together the ingredients. Do not mix completely. Batter will be lumpy and that's ok. If the batter is too wet, add the last 1/4 cup of flour, but it may not need it. Mix in the blueberries. Line 1 and 1/2 muffin tins with cupcake wrappers. I always end up with about 18 muffins. Pour about half the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Then place a dollop of cream cheese on each. Then cover with the rest of the batter and place another dollop of cream cheese on the top. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake for 20 mins or until muffins are just starting to get golden on top. Eating them fresh out of the oven is the best way....sometimes with a little butter.
Store in the fridge for a week or the freezer for 3 months.  


No comments:

Post a Comment