Thursday, August 29, 2013

Tea Stained Doilies

So I have been really into vintage and antiques lately. If anyone knows of any good antique stores, let me know! I recently picked up the most adorable vintage strawberry print fabric from an antique store in southern Washington and I was nerdy excited about it. I don't even know what I'm going to use it for yet, I just know I am going to use it at some point or another. The cool thing is, its so unique. No one will ever have the same fabric and it has that sweet vintage charm. Anyway, I was at Micheal's the other day (I think I am there once a week these days) and I came across these white doilies in the $1 bin. I thought I could totally use them for something, but they were too white and perfect for my taste. So I decided to stain them. Remember the Tea Stained Paper I showed you back in May? Well, this is basically the same thing. Just with fabric. You can use this method for most cottons if you want to give it a "vintage" look.

Here's what you need:

White $1 bin doilies (or any cotton fabric of choice)
Black tea (I used some orange spice that I am not particularly fond of)
Large heat proof bowl
Water
1. Heat up your hot water like you are making a cup of tea.....Actually you kind of are, but anyway. Pour hot water into the heatproof bowl with 2 or 3 bags of tea. It kind of depends on how dark you want the stain to be. Add them slowly if you're not sure.
2. Place the doilies in the tea and let sit for 5-10 mins.


3. Rinse in cold water until the water runs clear.

4. Let dry and now you have "vintage" doilies!





Use in your decor almost anywhere to get that cutesy, vintage look.

No comments:

Post a Comment