Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Travel Journal

So they have these really cute travel journals on etsy.com. The shop's name is The Recycled Library and they sell for about $28-$30. I really wanted to get one for our trip, but I didn't have time/money to get one (she does custom ones, so if you don't see your state, she can do it), so like most things these days, I decided to make one of my own. We have some old maps that have been laying in the corner of our office for awhile now, and I thought they would be perfect for this project. I had to ask my husband for permission though, as they were his old maps......he let me (thank you my love!) so here we go!

You will need:
A blank journal (mine has been sitting in a dresser for years now, so its time to renew and re-use!)
Old maps
Modge Podge
Paint brush

My old journal was actually pretty cute, but I wasn't using it. So now that I can make it new again, I will!
Measure the journal and cut a piece of map (with your desired location) to size, but add about 1/2 inch extra all the way around. And if you're like me and don't measure very well, you will end up with a paper that is a little too short....so measure, measure, measure!
You will have to wrap it around the edge, so that's why you need extra. Paint a layer of modge podge on the back of the map and place on the journal. Smooth out any bubbles.
Mini clothespins (rubber bands would work too) worked very well. 
Make sure to get in any grooves where the book opens.
Push your finger into the grooves so that the map lies flat against the journal.
Then glue the edges down over the inside covers of the journal. Let dry. Then do a layer of modge podge on the outside. Let dry. All done. Journal ready!
I fit at least 3 of the main places we are going.
 
So excited for all the warm weather we are headed to! Our Summer has been so up and down around here. And what's up with all the muggy-ness?
 There! Now I am ready to journal all of our fun adventures to come! Drivin' down the 101, California, here we come, right back where we started from.....

1 comment:

  1. This is cool! Can't wait to use it.... have you seen my maps?

    ReplyDelete