Monday, July 8, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake

I don't know why, but Summer just seems like a time for indulgence and celebration. I definitely always feel like I deserve a drink after work, but in the Summer I almost feel like its mandatory. Same goes for desserts. I think its safe to say, I have a HUGE (ok, maybe a couple) sweet tooth and I feel like you always need a good dessert after your Summertime BBQ. But it can't be something too heavy and it usually better if its cold too. We had some friends over not too long ago and I decided we needed some type of "Summery" dessert to have after dinner. With all the yummy strawberries in season, I thought Strawberry Shortcake was the perfect thing. It so easy too. You can pull this together in about half an hour! I found this recipe from Food Network. They have all the best recipes. I did cheat however and bought regular frozen Cool Whip from the store. Home made is totally worth it, but I happen to really like Cool Whip, so I went with that. I also got some vanilla ice cream to go with it so that people could have a choice of either ice cream or whipped cream. Me? I had to have both.

Ingredients:
24 ounces (1.5 lbs) of strawberries
5 Tbls. sugar
2 Cups flour
2 Tsp. baking powder
1/4 Tsp. baking soda
2 Tbls. sugar (I did 3)
3/4 Tbls. salt
1.5 Cups heavy cream
Whipped cream (homemade or bought)
Vanilla Ice Cream (optional)

Cut the tops off of the strawberries, then cut into 1/4ths (Or really however you want to cut them....you could do cubes).

Strawberries are just so pretty, don't you think?

Sprinkle them with 3 Tbls. of sugar, then refrigerate for at least 30 mins.

While the strawberries refrigerate, mix together all dry ingredients. Flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder.

Then mix in the heavy cream until it just starts to come together. You can do this with a fork too. No beaters necessary!

Bake at 400 F, in a square (or rectangle if you don't have square) ungreased 8X8 inch baking pan for 18-20 mins. Just until is gets beautiful and golden. Remove and cut into triangles. Cut the triangles in half like a sandwich, then pour on a spoonful of strawberries and a spoonful of whipped cream. Add ice cream as well if you really want the good stuff! Serve and enjoy!


And if you happen to have leftovers, remember that its no sin to have it for breakfast! Oh yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment