Wednesday, November 19, 2014

We Are Thankful For... Banner

Last year I put together a Thankful Tree to decorate for Thanksgiving and this year (although I may do the tree again also) I wanted to do something a little different, but the same basic idea. I saw this idea either in a blog or a magazine recently and after searching for it for an entire day (I was maybe going a little nutty) I gave up and decided I was never going to find it again. So unfortunately I can't show you where I got the idea, but I can at least show you my take on it. The woman had taken a neutral piece of fabric (it might have been burlap), hung it on the wall with a dowel and she and her daughters wrote in beautiful gold lettering all the things they were thankful for. And they could add things to it each year. It was so cute. I'm so mad I couldn't find it again! We have this bare wall between our kitchen and the dining room and the only time it gets decorated is in December when I put the advent calendar there. So I thought it would be the perfect spot to put a Thanksgiving banner!

The directions I am going to give you are pretty basic, because it follows a lot of the sewing instructions I have given in past tutorials, so I didn't want to be crazy redundant. But basically, you cut out a large rectangle of fabric. I used some leftover fabric from the slipcover I made for our couch. Hem all sides and then make a pocket at the top for a dowel. Slide the dowel in and tie some ribbon to either end.



Then write with a gold marker (I used a metallic gold wide tipped Recollections marker. A gold sharpie looked way too brown for me) "We are Thankful for..." and then write all the things you are thankful for. That's it!




To the right of the banner is our dining room.

And to the left is the kitchen.
It's great because when Thanksgiving is over I can fold it up and save it for next year and it shouldn't take up too much space. It's nice to have decorations, but storing big things can be a pain!


And it fits right in with my neutral color scheme.

Obviously there is tons of space to add more things. But I figure we can keep adding more each year. There is always something to be thankful for!


I am also thankful for...this little Peanut of mine, who is so very loving.

And I love her silly side!

What are you thankful for this year?

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment