Monday, November 10, 2014

Vintage Book Page Fan Garland

Happy Monday! It's been one of those days that this is the first time I have sat down and it seems like I have a million things to do and one thing leads to another to do and it goes on and on and on. And I am sure I will be up out of my chair another 50 times before I get this post finished. But I suppose that's just a typical Monday! I have been gradually getting the house ready for Thanksgiving with little things here and there. Getting decorations made and put up, menu planning, making sure there's enough bedding for our guests, cleaning the house, etc. This is a fun little project I have always wanted to try and it is a cute decoration for pretty much any occasion. Not just Thanksgiving. How cute would it be for a book club party? I thought it would be the perfect thing to hang on my old window frame in the front entry for Fall.

For this project you will need:
Vintage book pages (I didn't have any books that I wanted to rip apart. It feels almost sacrilegious, books are too special to me. So I bought my vintage pages on Etsy.com for a few bucks. Like buying ground beef instead of killing a cow! lol)
Craft glue
White thread or embroidery floss
Mini clothespins (optional)
Buttons
Hot glue gun
Ribbon or twine for hanging

Step 1. Take 2 pieces of vintage paper pages, roughly the same size and fold them into fans. You know, grade school style. Princess brings a new one home from school almost every week.
The paper I bought for this project was old Gone With the Wind book pages. I love that book so much. I couldn't help reading some of the pages as I worked. Made me want to read it again.

Step 2. Pinch the fans together in the center and tie a piece of thread around to hold them together.


Step 3. Then spread the fanning out and glue the ends together so that your fan makes a full circle. I used regular craft glue for this and then held the edges together with clothespins so they could dry.


Repeat until you have as many fans as you want on your garland.

Step 4. Once they are dry, hot glue buttons or other embellishments onto the center of the fans and then glue the fans onto some pretty ribbon. I just used some lace ribbon.


Hang wherever!



Here is a new chalkboard sign I made for the front table. I am thinking I will keep this chalkboard here so that I can change the sayings out seasonally.


That's all for today, hope you are all having less frazzled days than I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment