Tuesday, November 4, 2014

November Mantel and New Give Thanks Sign

Halloween is always fun and I am always excited to pull those giant orange and black bins down out of the garage. But I am always just as excited when Halloween is over and I can take it all down and decorate for Thanksgiving! It was perfect that the day after Halloween fell on a Saturday this year, so that there was no excuse to not pull everything down and put it away. I have so many projects and ideas I want to do for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, that I was kind of in a hurry to be rid of the orange and black. And now onto the next holiday, Thanksgiving! Last year I made a "Give Thanks" sign which you can see here. But I have been really into decorating with neutral colors lately (it makes life so much easier and it's always pretty) and so I decided to make a new banner this year to go along with my new style. It's very simple and very easy to make.

All you need:
Ribbon
Burlap
White paint and paint brush
Sewing materials
Stencils (The ones I used are 3 inch)

Step 1. Cut out 10 rectangles (to spell out "give thanks") approx. 4.5 X 5.5 inches.

Step 2. Fold each in half lengthwise and cut the bottom at an angle to make the cute-sy flag look.


Step 3. Using your stencil, paint one letter onto each rectangle to spell out "give thanks". I didn't tape the stencil down, because I was in a rush, but you can if you want.


Step 4. Sew the letters onto ribbon. I used the zig-zag stitch as burlap tends to fray and make sure to use the reverse too! Like the last "give thanks" banner, I did the "give" on one length of ribbon and the "thanks" on another one, so that one could hang below the other and it wasn't just one long banner.

And done. Wasn't that easy?
 Here is my mantel decorated for November.

I spy with my little eye, my "Eat" sign! You can find the tutorial for that sign here.







Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment