Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Baby Taggie Blanket

I went to a baby shower over the weekend and I wanted to try making something for the baby. I have made a quilt before, a baby scarf before and you have seen what I can do with a onesie, but I wanted to make something I hadn't made before. So I tried making a Taggie blankey. I think it turned out pretty cute. It was a little confusing at times, but after un-stitching and restitching a few times, I finally got it. For those of you who don't know about Taggie blankets, they are basically just blankets with bits of ribbon sewn onto the edges. Babies for some reason are crazy about the tags on toys and blankets, so some genius came up with the idea of Taggies. My girls had a Taggie toy ball and a Taggie elephant that were pretty cute. I thought I would stick with the more basic Taggie. Baby stuff is so fun to make because there are so many cute baby fabrics out there. And making your own Taggie is great because you can match it to the colors of the baby's bedroom or stick to the typical pinks for girls or blues for boys. Here is the how to.

You will need:
2, 15X15 inch squares of fabric (I used a flannel for one side and a cotton for the other)
Tons of different bits and pieces of ribbon (A great way to use up ribbon pieces that are too short to wrap with!)
1, 15X15 inch square of batting
Sewing materials

 1. Start by cutting out your 2 squares of fabric and batting.

2. Lay down the batting, then one of the fabric squares on top of it, pretty side up. Start pinning all of your ribbons onto the outside of your batting/fabric square making a loop with each ribbon. This way it is "tag" like.

3. Sew all the way around the square to secure the ribbons and remove pins.

 4. Lay the second square of fabric on top of the square with the ribbons on it, so that pretty sides are together. Pin and sew most of the way around. Make sure you leave an opening so that you can flip it all right side out.

 5. Trim off excess on the sides and cut the corners of the square. This helps keep the blanket less bulky.

6. Flip right side out.

7. Tuck in the edges of the hole and pin shut. Sew down about 1/4 inch from the edge and continue all the way around the square to make it look nice.

And that's it! Not so bad right?

Its such a great, simple gift to make for expecting mothers and babies LOVE them!


No comments:

Post a Comment