Friday, February 7, 2014

Pink Champagne Cupcakes

"Don't you think life should be gay and bright and bubbly like champagne?"

"I like pink champagne."

"Yes. That's the kind I mean. Now is there any reason, why from now on that life shouldn't be like pink champagne?"

5 bucks to the first person that names that movie....and leaves a comment on this page. Seriously. I have a hard enough time getting anyone to say ANYTHING on this blog. So I'm bribing you. Kind of. And no google-ing....that's cheating. It's one of the best movies of all time.

I had to do a Valentine's cupcake. I'm kind of like a cupcake connoisseur. No really. I've tasted a lot of cupcakes.....I've tried dozens of recipes on my own. Searching for the one. perfect. cupcake. Cupcakes can be good and cupcakes and be really, really bad. This one I tried, the frosting was super greasy. I'm not really sure how they accomplished that. I mean, the best cupcake frosting is made with butter....but mine have never turned out....greasy. Oh and cake flour is an absolute must. Anyway. I love trying new cupcake recipes. I found this recipe from The Baking Robot (who got it from Squirrel Bakes) and knew I had to try it. What says romance and Valentine's more than pink champagne!? I mean come on! So romantic. And pink to boot.



I knew I was in for something exciting when trying these cupcakes. But I'm not really sure I fathomed how great they would be. Its like the champagne intensified every single flavor in the cupcake. The flavor is amazing. There is like this one taste in them that you can't quite get your finger on (which I'm assuming is the champagne) and you just can't get enough of it (go figure). The one thing I didn't like about this recipe is that the cupcakes turned out a little dense. Which, could very well have been user error. I may have over-beat the egg whites. I don't know. I would have to try again to see. But really, the flavor you get from these is incredible. Won't be the only time I make these!




Some tips I have for cupcake making:
* Use a pastry bag for frosting your cupcakes. Sure, you can put the frosting on with a knife, but it just makes them look so much nicer with that fancy swirl on top. And you can use whatever kind of tip strikes your fancy.
* Place the cupcakes on a rimmed baking sheet when you sprinkle on the sprinkles. That way you can contain some of the mess!
* Measure carefully, especially the flour. It makes a big difference.
* An hour before you want to start baking, leave the butter out. This will allow it to come to room temperature before you start and will make it much easier to handle when you need it.
* When adding food coloring and flavoring, go very slowly. One drop at a time! That way you won't end up with crazy color or way too intense flavor.

Make these for Valentine's and everyone will be in love with you. I promise.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment