Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Yarn Trees

Last year I made these Ruffle Trees for my Christmas decorating and they turned out so cute, I wanted to make something similar this year to add to the collection. These are even easier to make than the ruffle trees and instead of making the tree forms out of foil (which is great if you don't want to run out and buy the tree forms) I just bought some at the craft store, so that made it much easier. There is a range of sizes and the price runs from about $4-$10.

You will need:
Tree forms (either bought or homemade)
Plain muslin fabric (or any white cotton fabric)
Hot glue gun
Yarn


Step 1. Cover your tree form with muslin using a hot glue gun. Cover the whole thing. This will help fill in any spots that don't get covered with the yarn.


Step 2. Starting at the base of the tree, apply a little bit of hot glue and start wrapping the yarn around the tree, working your way to the top.




Step 3. When you get to the top apply a little bit of glue and zig-zag the yarn across the top to cover it. Press down, being careful not to burn your hands with the hot glue. Tuck in the excess yarn somewhere around the main part of the tree and glue down if you are worried about it coming loose.



Then you are done! Easy right?


And here is our dining room all ready for Christmas!






I got this nativity scene as a hand-me-down from my sister-in-law a few years ago when we were desperate for anything free and I love it. Its so unique, I have never seen anything quite like it. Plus, it works perfectly with my neutral color scheme! Last year I put our nativity here in the dining room and I really liked having it there. It's near the front door, so people can see it yet, its out of the way so my children don't destroy it. Although someone likes to go in there from time to time and re-arrange the figures.

Baby Jesus will be here soon!

I made another ruffle tree this year too, to go along with my new yarn trees.


 That's it for now. Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment