Thursday, December 11, 2014

Simple Stockings

We are expecting 50-75 mph winds today so I figured I better get a jump on some posts in case I lose power! The weather has been so strange this month! We got a dusting of snow on Thanksgiving weekend (which was awesome) and then it has been so warm since then. And now super windy! Doesn't seem like December at all. My home is mostly decorated and if you missed my very first Christmas Home Tour, click on the link and check it out. But of course I still have a few projects that I want to add here and there. My work is never finished! And like my husband says, "You just can't DO simple, can you?". No. I cannot. I thought the girl's room needed a little more Christmas, so I made these simple stockings to add in there. I didn't use a pattern or anything, I just kind of free cut the stocking shapes. And I am calling these "simple" stockings, because they are really just for decoration and not strong enough to be stuffed with presents! These are a great thing to make if you need a little extra something in your holiday decorating and they can be totally customized to fit your decor!

You will need:
Burlap
Decorative fabric or fur (!)
Pins
Scissors
Sewing Machine

Step 1. Cut out 2 identical stocking shapes, slightly bigger than you want the end stocking to be. Sew all along the sides (but not across the top), then flip right side out.

 Step 2. Tuck in the top, pin down and then sew to give it a nice edge.

Step 3. Cut a piece of accent fabric (as you can see I caved and did pink) and then pin all around the top of the stocking to make a "cuff", tucking the edges under so you don't see the raw edge. Sew onto the stocking.


Step 4. Cut off excess fabric, tuck in the ends and sew closed with a zig-zag stitch.


Step 5. Make two little loops in matching fabric to hang the stockings. I just cut two long strips, folded them in half lengthwise, then sewed them using the zig-zag stitch.

Step 6. Sew loops onto the backs of the stockings. Then you're finished!





I'll be back tomorrow with more pictures of the girl's room decked out for Christmas! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment