Thursday, November 9, 2017

Thanksgiving Home Tour / Part 1

Good Morning and happy Thursday friends! Hope you are all having a wonderful week. My husband just returned home from a trip last night so I feel like I can breathe a sigh a relief after feeling like a single mom for 4 days! Every time he leaves I feel renewed admiration for all you single mothers out there who do it every day. It is so hard!
I did get a lot of projects done though while he was gone and I'm excited to share with you. The first one is I pulled down all the Halloween decor and got decorated for Thanksgiving! Bloggers have a tendency to skip over Thanksgiving and go straight to setting up their trees the day after Halloween. Mostly because they have obligations and jobs to fulfill for their work. But it always kind of makes me sad. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Christmas! It is my absolute favorite holiday and I will be setting up the day after Thanksgiving for sure and blasting Christmas music as soon as the turkey is cleared from the table. But because of the blogger life, I find that there is a lack of Thanksgiving decor inspiration out there. Plenty of table setting inspo, but nothing really for the rest of the house. And I want Thanksgiving to feel just as special as any other holiday. So anyway, all that to say, I will NOT skip Thanksgiving. Christmas will get it's turn, but now is the time to feel grateful for all the gifts we have and take a step back and appreciate it. As I started to decorate, I kind of felt like I was starting fresh. A clean slate so that we can focus more on each other and being grateful.
I split this Thanksgiving Tour up into 2 parts so that you're not swimming through tons of photos all at once. Be sure to come back tomorrow for Part 2.
Welcome to our home! Grab your coffee or tea and come on in!~
Today I'll take you through the entry and kitchen.



I switched my wreath out for one that I made last Fall. It seemed to go better with the warmer colors I used this time. I originally wanted to go with cranberry and sage colors for decorating this Thanksgiving, but as I started going through everything, I found that I already had a lot of this dark orange to work with. So I made that work. Always nice to use what you have right!? It think it worked perfectly. Kind of like Autumn's last breath. One last flash of color before everything fades for Winter.





I also finally got some baskets for underneath this bench! I picked these up at HomeGoods. I wasn't sure about them at first, but they have been so perfect. They slide in and out easily and the handle on them makes it easy for the girl's to access their shoes.





The Thanksgiving pilgrim children pillow I made last year from some fabric that my mother in law gave me. It is such a sweet print, I love it. If any of you cringe at the thought of sewing, my Insta friend Natalie at Vintage Porch (You can find her @vintageporch) has brilliant ideas for making no sew pillows. She just buys napkins, fabric gift bags or even place mats and then glues them together with fabric glue. Such a genius idea and so much cheaper than buying new pillows all the time! So if you can't sew, that's a great option. Hop on over to her feed and she shows you step by step how to do it.



We picked up these cinderella pumpkins at the pumpkin patch this year and they are so cute! I wish I could keep them forever!





Oh hey! Can you see me in the reflection taking the picture? This spot is so dark, it's really hard to get a picture here. But you get the idea. I also got the framed leaf idea from Natalie at Vintage Porch. It's a ten second project that makes FREE art. I actually used faux leaves, but real would be so pretty. We got a surprise blanket of snow everywhere recently, so all the leaves were wet and I couldn't use them. You could switch it up and do sprigs of rosemary or fir for Winter or in the Spring you could do fern leaves or flowers.













My gorgeous flower bounty. Cheapest flowers I have found are usually from Trader Joes. I don't go there for anything else, but totally worth it if you need a bunch of flowers.



Whites and greens are always great to use because they go with everything and they always look so clean and fresh. If you are ever having trouble styling a vignette in your home, usually the one thing that fixes the problem is a bunch of living flowers or greens. Works. Every. Time. Faux works just as well, but there is something about the real stuff that always brings life to your decor.







Take a good look at this kitchen now; it's about to go through some fun changes in the near future!



I wanted to show you guys this cute orange pumpkin candle from Big Dipper Wax Works. They are a company from Seattle and these candles are so amazing. First of all, beeswax candles are SO much better for the air quality than regular candles, even better than soy and they actually clean the air instead of putting out that soot-y stuff. I highly recommend them. Every once in a while I feel like you just need a good smelling candle to mask all the smells in the air that can happen in any home, but most of the time I love to use beeswax. It has a very subtle honey scent and it literally burns cleaner than any other type of candle. 



Anyway, I picked this orange candle up from New Seasons, but if you aren't local, they also have a website. Bigdipperwaxworks.com They have this once a year sale right before Christmas that I love to go to. You get to go to the factory and browse through their overstock of candles and you also get an awesome peak into the candle making factory. So cool!



I have already dropped a few hints and if you follow me on Instagram, you might have seen in my stories over the Summer that we are getting subway tile in our kitchen!!! I am so excited. It is going to make such a huge difference to getting that farmhouse look we love. I will be sure to keep you updated on the progress!
In the meantime, come back tomorrow for Part 2 of the Thanksgiving Home Tour. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment