Step 1. Buy a ton of painter's drop cloth. That's right. Drop cloth. The stuff that they lay on the floor to protect it from getting paint on it. I read that it was just about the cheapest fabric you can get and I had a lot of couch to cover! I love that I discovered this because it is a nice neutral color and it allowed me to have a great base for the rest of the room. Its just plain canvas material and it is durable! And it was the perfect fit for the rustic/farmhouse look that my husband and I love so much. For my very large L shaped couch, I bought two of the largest sized packs I could get (I don't remember what size they were exactly) which were about $60 each. Then one middle sized pack which was about $30 bucks. So for about $150 dollars (plus about 6 spools of thread, which I had) I was able to fix my raggedy couch and get a whole new look for our living room. If I were to get the couch professionally recovered or if I were to buy a new one (the same size) this would have cost me around $1,500! I'm proud to say I won that war!
Step 2. Bleach the crap outta the drop cloth. I hate bleach. I really do. The chemicals in it have real, terrifying effects on people. I never use it, I never buy it. Its total poison and I just don't like having it around. But one or two blogger's said they bleached their drop cloth to get a nice whitish color and I wanted to do it to achieve that clean farmhouse look. So, basically I am a total hypocrite. I tried not to think about it as I bought a few gallons of bleach (only like a buck at Home Depot) and then soaked each drop cloth in bleachy water for about 3 days per piece. I kept my girls away from our bathroom as it soaked and my gosh....my husband and I would wake up in the morning and feel like we were getting sick and swore it was from the fumes. Anyway, then I washed them and dried them and they were ready for me to get to work.
Step 3. Take a deep breath, realize that you are NOT going to accomplish this in a day and just start already! I decided to start with the base of the couch and work my way out from there. The drop cloth actually had finished edges, so I tried to use those as much as I could (to save myself from finishing edges myself). So for this first piece, I layed the fabric over, tucked in the back and then cut out where the arm would go (on the left). So that I could sew on a new fitted piece.
Here is the view from the back. See how I tucked in that top edge? Basically for the base part of the couch and the arms of the couch, was a lot of tucking and pinning, sewing and re-pinning and sewing again. I just kept going at it, until each piece fit pretty well.
One more cushion left!
Once again for the full affect......
There you have it. That's what I've been up to for the past month. Let me know if anyone has any questions! I would love to help.
Here are some of the blogs that helped me in my endeavors.
* Jen over at Tatertots and Jello had some great instructional instructional photos and she even shows the bleaching process.
* This woman had a great idea and just had her friends come over and each friend did one piece of the couch. Genius! If only I had that many crafty friends!
* I was seriously considering flying this woman out here to come do my couch! But alas, the point was to save money. lol. She has an ebook that you can buy with full instructions on how to slipcover pretty much anything. I didn't buy it, but looking at the before and afters of her work, she is amazing!
Hope this has inspired you to DIY something today. You never know what random things you have laying around that can be turned into something beautiful!
I've got lots more home projects coming up in the next few weeks, so stay tuned!