Thursday, October 5, 2017

Side Yard Reveal

Good Morning Friends!

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen in my Insta-stories a few months ago where I took you on a tour of our side yard and gave you a short "before" peek of what it looked like before we worked on it all Summer. It has come a long way from the forest of weeds that it started with when we moved in. It still has a little bit of work to be done, but now that it is Fall we won't be doing any more work on it until next Spring. So I figured it was probably time to show you what we've been up to. It is so nice to have this extra space in our yard. It makes our yard seem so much bigger overall and it has given us a beautiful quiet spot for resting and relaxing. I don't have any real before photos of the mess it was before. In fact, these pictures make it look better than it actually did because we had already cleared away so much of the weeds, but anyway, it gives you an idea. Plus here's my adorable pudgy first born daughter.....who is 7 now. Who happened to like the weeds.

BEFORE:




I can't even. Those cheeks! I forgot how adorably chubby she was!

Anyway, here is what it looks like today. Welcome to our very own secret garden!

AFTER:


Follow the path next to the garden...





Look out for little fairies...



They like to snuggle on the daybed and read fairy tales.



I'm trying to figure out what to do with the bottom of the daybed because it looks so bare. I can't really do a bed skirt because it will just get gross, but I was thinking we maybe add some stained wood to go all the way around under the mattress like a frame...I don't know. Ideas?





Next year I plan to add a trellis behind the daybed to add a bit more privacy and grow some clematis or jasmine back there. My dream is for this area to be covered and overgrown with plants and green.





I want to try and find a side table or garden stool for this space at some point. I did a lot of searching online during the Summer and I just didn't find anything that I really liked that much. This old crate works great in the meantime.



There's my awesome fig tree! If you remember I had a little sproutlet that didn't look like it was going to make it and I ended up just replacing it with a more mature tree. It must like where it is because it even produced figs! Like a lot. And they were huge! Some of them were almost the size of my fist! I'm serious. The first one I picked I was afraid to eat because I got it into my head that it couldn't possibly be that big on it's own so there was probably a slug in it......there wasn't a slug in it. But I was still too weirded out to eat it. Anyway....figs. From MY garden.

That beautiful purple flowered bush on the left is called a Heliotrope and it smells amazing. We had actually bought two of these plants for a different place in the yard, but they weren't quite big enough for the space and my mother-in-law informed me that they are annuals....meaning they won't come back next year. My plan was to get plants that I can plant and then forget about so I want to try and find something more permanent for next year. But these have been really cool to see this year. They had a really rough start too, so I'm surprised they lived! The day we got them it was super hot and they wilted completely, but then after baby-ing them for a bit and loading them with water, they miraculously came back to life. It was a small miracle, I'm telling you.





Then over here I had planted a bunch of little seedlings. Poppies, bachelor buttons, sweet peas, edible flowers. The sweet peas grew, but they never blossomed, which I'm pretty sad about because I wanted them! And the seeds in the pots had waterer error issues. So I finally just put some little pansies and ferns in them. I don't know why, but I love the look on ferns. They have such a unique look. I am going to move them out of the pots eventually and into the ground, but I haven't really decided where.



Then that guy on the right is an olive tree who doesn't seem to be to mad about where he is either. It must have been all the hot weather we had over the Summer, but I'm not sure how he'll like our Winter!













And this.....is my spot. Mine and Riley's. We like to come out here for a drink together after the girls go to bed and catch up or more often not. say. anything. And I really liked coming out here in the mornings over the Summer before the girls woke up. I would bring my cup of coffee and scroll through Instagram or do some writing. It was the best. Ah, the lazy days of Summer. How I miss them already. This is directly across from the ladder with the potted plants. It's kind of hard to see because it is tucked away behind a corner of the house. But that's what's so good about it. It's all tucked away and private. There is a large tree in our front yard that creates a kind of canopy over it too. It's magical.



Looking back that way you can also see a glimpse of our new fence that we got over the Summer. We replaced the old rickety white picket fence and got a higher one. It's so nice and our yard feels so private now.





This girl here is the chubby baby in the first photos. My sweet oldest. How can she be so old?



And this is my baby Everly, saying "Goodbye friends!"

Hope you enjoyed the tour.


No comments:

Post a Comment