Friday, July 18, 2014

Custom Birthday Candle

Today is my oldest daughter's 4th birthday. I can't believe it. Princess is 4 today! It is so strange to watch your own child grow. Now she is no longer a baby, but a little girl; learning new things and becoming her own person. Its incredible and so bittersweet. Its hard to believe that four years ago today I was in labor and waiting anxiously for her to come out. Now she is four years old and the friendliest, most beautiful little girl. And starting full time pre-school in the Fall! I can't take it!

Here she is only a few days old in July 2010
I can't look at this picture without getting baby fever. So precious!

And here she is today. July 18th, 2014
Happy Birthday my sweet little girl! Momma loves you SO much! I hope you have a perfect birthday!

Every birthday girl needs a birthday cake and every birthday cake needs a birthday candle. Here is how I made a custom (Frozen themed of course) birthday candle for Princess's birthday.


You will need:
A number birthday candle (found at most party stores, grocery stores, etc.)
Tiny beads or seeds beads (in the color of your choice)
Craft paint (in the color of your choice)
Small paint brush
Glue (I used the natural Elmer's glue, but you can use the regular kind as well)
Lots of glitter
Spray adhesive
Embellishments (I found a snowflake button to add a little flare to the candle. You can find all kind of themed buttons or beads just like these at your local craft store)

1. Start by painting the the outline of the candle in the color that matches your party's theme. I did light blue/"Elsa blue" to go with our Frozen theme. You will need to do about two coats as the wax doesn't hold the paint very well. But don't worry, it works.

Depending on the number, you may need to paint an inside line as well.

2. Once the paint is dry, spread a layer of glue inside the ridges of the candle and then cover with an assortment of the tiny beads. It looks great if they are just mixed up and randomly placed.


3. Using a toothpick or any other small tool, scrape off any stray beads, where they don't belong. Then add your snowflake button or other embellishment if you have one. Let the glue dry completely.


4. Spray a good amount of spray adhesive all over the candle to hold everything in. Then sprinkle dry glitter over the top. Note: The spray adhesive is flammable, so make sure to dry your candle completely before lighting and don't let it burn for too long. I haven't tested mine yet to see if it causes an explosion... but it shouldn't. It won't be lit very long anyway. If you are worried, then sing "Happy Birthday" quick!


Then you're finished. Isn't that pretty!? Its kind of a cool way to make those boring birthday candles into something really special. And its great because you can customize the colors, beads and paint to fit with whatever birthday theme you are having. I'm off to go hang out with my little 4 year old. Have a great weekend everyone. Check in next week to see the big FROZEN party reveal!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this!! For my daughter's 4th Frozen Birthday Party, too. (only a year later, anyway) THANK YOU! Do you think I can just do a layer of clear glue (maybe mixed with water) over the glitter instead of buying the acrylic sealant spray I'll just use this once?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shari,
    You could probably do a little mix of water and glue to seal it. My only thought would be to put it in a spray bottle for applying. Good luck and happy birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article contains some of the best information on this subject. I found this easy to understand and interesting to read. This is good content. Candle Packaging Wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankx for sharing this article. Its really informative article. I really enjoy your site I am waiting for new article.cigarette box size

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very glad to read this article related to candle boxes. Birthday is so good occasion and source of happines in every year. Candles increase the beauty of birthday gifts. So always choose stylish candle packaging boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this article. Its really informative article. I really enjoy your site I am waiting for new article on Hemp Boxes

    ReplyDelete