Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Revamped Lamp #3

Hello faithful Princes, Ponies and Diamonds readers! It's me. I'm actually here! Sorry it has been an eternity (January) since my last post! I wish I had a valid excuse other than being totally unmotivated to put in the work! It may have something to do with the fact that we are expecting number 3 this coming September... Yep! I am pregnant again with our third child and even though I am 15 weeks, I can still hardly believe it. We are going to be outnumbered! It's no longer gonna be "here, you take this one, I'll take that one." It's going to be THREE against two! My husband and I are so excited and the girls are looking forward to taking care of a baby of their own. It was actually really fun to have them both be at the age where they can be excited about it. Because when Peanut arrived, Princess was less than thrilled, to say the least.
I started this blog post Peanut, so none of you have known what I am like pregnant. But I can tell you one thing. I HATE being pregnant. It's so gross, you feel terrible, you look terrible, your energy is always depleted (yet you have a to-do list bigger than the Brother's Karamazov) and you have to WAIT nine whole months for the little alien to arrive! And I say alien, because they literally suck the life out of you. Like really, your brain actually gets depleted. Don't get me wrong, I adore the product you get at the end, but the waiting it really hard. In the past, I have always tried to keep myself as busy as possible (to help make the time go faster) making sure all things are in order before the baby comes, crafting, cleaning, more cleaning and when I have completely run out of things to do, I scour the internet for lists of "things to do while waiting for baby". This time is no exception. The time is crawling by, but we have a lot to do before this baby comes. Including a lot of room re-arranging and makeovers! (More on that later) I hope to get all of it posted, so fingers crossed that I will and not get lazy!
Today I wanted to show you a recent lamp makeover that I did. You can see other lamps that I have done here and here.This lamp is just a simple IKEA lamp that we got while we lived in our second rental house. We just wanted something cheap and simple that would go with everything, so the white shade did the trick. Now that our living room is morphing into a farmhouse style look, I thought it could use a little makeover. I found the idea over the holidays when I was surfing through endless Christmas Home Tours and found a lamp similar to this in one of the homes. I fell right in love as soon as I saw it and decided I would have to do something similar to ours in the near future. So finally I got around to it and I am I so happy with how it fits in the room.

Here are the BEFORE pictures of the lamp:




What you will need:
Burlap fabric
Strips of cotton muslin
Hot glue gun
Sewing machine
Painters tape

1. Start by wrapping the burlap all the way around the lamp shade and taping it down with the painter's tape to see how much you need and then cut it to size. I doubled up the burlap so that you could not see through to the old lamp shade.


2. Then going around the inside edges of the shade, trim the excess burlap, making sure to leave enough to fit around shade for later when you are gluing it down. I left about an inch and a half on the inner sides.


3. Heat up your hot glue gun and start gluing down the burlap keeping it as tight as you can. You don't want to have any bubbles at the end so go slow and steady, checking your progress as you go.


4. When you get to the end of it, tuck under the edges of the burlap and glue down making as straight of a seam as you can.


 5. After you have glued the main part of the shade, then start working on the edges. Wrap the ends as tightly as you can down on the inside of the lamp and glue down. You want the burlap to be as flat and flush against the lamp as you can get it.

6. When you get to the parts with the metal, like this, just cut a little notch in the burlap and glue the burlap down around it.

Then you are finished with the first part. I almost left the lamp just like this, as it looks pretty cute with just the burlap, but I wanted a little something extra.

7. Make the ruffles. Start by cutting long strips of the cotton muslin that are about 4 inches wide. Fold over both of the long sides and sew down so that the edge is a little bit finished.


8. Going down one side of the muslin strip, make a pleat all the way down. I separated my pleats about 1.5 inches apart. Once you do one or two pleats, you kind of get into a rhythm and it goes pretty fast after that. Here is what they should look like.

9. Then hot glue the ruffles along the base of the lamp, keeping it as straight as you can. I only ended up using 2 of the ruffle strips that I made.

Then you are done! Put the lamp shade back on the lamp and enjoy your new look!










No comments:

Post a Comment