Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Lemon Cream

Lemon Curd. I know, I know. It sounds disgusting. "Curd" has got to be one of the nastiest sounding words in the English language. I mean really, why couldn't they have called it Lemon Cream? That sounds luscious....That's it, I'm changing this title to Lemon Cream. But I'm telling you. Get past the name, because this stuff is dreamy. Growing up my mom always had this stuff in the refrigerator. I never knew why, because the name was so horrifying to me. But now that I've grown up and my taste buds have matured, I've learned that sometimes its a good idea to give things a second try. And I'm so glad because this stuff is delicious and really fun to make.

There are quite a few recipes out there to try and honestly I only used this one because I only had 4 eggs. Easter wiped us out! But its pretty good one from Ina. Here it is. And in case you were wondering....1/4 lb of butter is one stick of butter. I don't know why she just couldn't say that. Geez Ina! Anyway, this recipe will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge.

Here is how mine turned out.



If you are wondering what the heck you do with this yumminess, (besides lick it off the spoon) allow me to count the ways....
*You can use it to make a lemon tart
*You can use it as the filling for French Macrons
* You can make a batch of meringues (pipe into little nests) and spoon some of the lemon curd on top for a quick and impressive dinner party dessert (all parts can be made ahead of time). Top with fresh blueberries if desired. A beautiful light and fresh Springtime dessert!
* You can spread it on toast (which was what I did this morning...it was so good...spread some butter on there too, oh yeah)
* Spread it on leftover girl scout shortbread cookies or homemade sugar cookies
* Put it in your oatmeal.

The options are endless my friends. And for whatever reason, I feel like Lemon Curd pairs well with a nice cup of tea. Not in the tea of course, but maybe on a piece of vanilla pound cake. Yummy!
Speaking of tea, I recently discovered this really fun blog dedicated to tea. That's right, just tea. Thirstyfortea.com. I swear, I spent like an hour browsing her blog the other evening. Check out her most recent post on Easter Bunny Stroopwafels. So freaking adorable. I'd never heard of a stroopwafel before, but after seeing what she did with it, it make me a lover.

That's it for today. Any naysayers still out there? Just try it. It's SO GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment