Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Halloween Sugar Cookies

I feel like every holiday needs sugar cookie cut outs. Hearts for Valentine's Day, Shamrocks for St. Patty's and Trees and Gingerbread men for Christmas. What did I say about cookie cutters? They come in handy a lot! Princess asks to make cookies with me at least once a week and I wanted to make some Halloween Sugar Cookies with her this Halloween. I usually just buy one of those blue pre-made logs of sugar cookie dough. I think its Pillsbury. But this time I wanted to try making the dough from scratch. Its a lot easier than I imagined it to be. Not sure why I was so scared of sugar cookie dough when I make other cookies all the time. Anyway. Its a great activity to do with little ones, or hey yourself too, if you enjoy decorating cookies. The nice thing about it, is that you don't have to devote a whole afternoon to it. You can break it up into parts. One night mix up the dough, then throw it in the fridge. Most recipes recommend keeping it in there overnight. Then the next day you can bake them and cool them. Then if you really want to stretch it out, you can store them and wait yet another day to do the decorating. So no excuses about not having enough time!
Here is the recipe I used for making our Halloween Sugar Cookies. The original recipe makes 5 dozen! Which is way too much for us. I mean, we like sweets around here but there's no way we could eat that many! So luckily you can change the amount. I changed it to 3 dozen and ended up with about 35 cookies.

For the icing I just mixed powdered sugar with water and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. You want the frosting to be thicker than you think. It kind of loosens up after a minute or two. Once I got a big batch of icing the consistency I wanted, I added food coloring and put it in three bowls. I left one white and made the other two black and orange. If you don't have any fancy frosting dispensers, just put the frosting in a ziplock bag and snip the corner with scissors. I am way too lazy to go through all that trouble, so I just spread it on with a baby knife. Those knives are great for little hands too, because they aren't sharp and they can hold onto them.

Then pull out all the sprinkles you own and start decorating!
 Concentrating VERY hard.


 Look at that pile of frosting!
 Ghosts, kitties, bats and pumpkins, oh my!
Yay! Happy Halloween! And happy decorating!


No comments:

Post a Comment